I wanted to share something with you all that happened to me this morning. It’s funny now but not so much when it happened. I woke up in a lot of pain, I have been having extreme muscle pain for the past year, to the point of barely being able to move. I decided to soak in the bathtub in hot Epsom Salt water and see if that would help. I am a creature of habit; I do things in certain order to make sure I don’t forget that I am not in the body I used to be. It helps me maintain safety and situations that may cause me harm. Last weekend was a very emotional one for me, one I have been asked to share but not able to put those feelings into words. I have been distracted and just doing things without thought.
After soaking I stepped out of the tub, dried off and began to get dressed. It was then I noticed I hadn’t unplugged the tub. I usually get on my knees and unplug it but today I didn’t do my normal routine, no big deal right? Wrong!
I am a short person whose spine is completely fused, and I am curved to the right. I am big busted and a curvy gal, so gravity is not my friend. Do you see where this is going?
Without thinking I leaned down in the tub to unplug it. I had my left hand on the shower wall for safety, not sure how a sweat covered wall is safe, but you get my drift. I was soooooooooooo close to accomplishing this! I really was!
I felt my hand begin to slide and my old friend gravity along with a body that is like a plank of wood did not work in my favor. I ended up in the tub, face under water, mouth and nose full of salty water and trying to balance myself steadily while my legs and feet are flying around in the air, and my naked ass is there for the world to see, only thing I am alone. The world missed the biggest Mooning of the year!
My daddy used to say that I could swim like a fish, swimming underwater was my strong suit, until fused ribs, jaws and neck made it difficult to breath, until my fusing shoulders and injuries causing me to lose strength in my arms.
My first reaction was to scream (underwater) in pain due to hitting my head and shoulder.
My second reaction was to panic due to swallowing water and choking.
Any way I finally calmed myself enough to think. I struggled to unplug it and managed to. I realized I could no longer hold my breath long enough to let the water drain.
So, the battle of cookie and the bathtub began. I will confess that the headlines of AS advocate drowns in the tub upside down due to falling when trying to unplug the drain was not how I wanted to go down in history.
I finally managed to balance myself up, enough to breath and hand crawl up the wall enough to steady myself. Water was finally gone so I was no longer in danger of drowning.
I am bruised in several places including my pride. I now have two arms I am not able to lift due to pain.
I tell you people have no idea how adventurous and dangerous a disabled person's life can be, and not even have to leave the house. I think for now own I will stick to showers!
Today I am grateful for not drowning upside down in my own bathtub and that I can laugh about it.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment