Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Nationial Straw Day

Man, if you ever have some free time, you should look at the National Day Calendar it is INSANE!

I found out today is National Straw Day! Many may not know this, but Michael Smith started our Ankylosing Spondylitis Awareness because he found out that there was a National Cheese Day!

Because of Ankylosing Spondylitis, I am only able to move my head up and down, or side to side a quarter of an inch. So now I am dependent on straws to help me finish my drinks, something I must admit I hate!

Back in the day they called you dramatic or being oversensitive but today they call it post traumatic syndrome disorder. It is crazy how such a small insignificant item can cause so much pain.

In late 1975 and early 1976 my best friend Diana was in the last stages of bone cancer. In the last months of her life, I spent as much time as possible with her. Her parents, my parents and my school were extremely kind in allowing me this privilege. She was and is still my best friend.

In the last month of her life, she became extremely dehydrated no matter how much iv fluids they administered. Her lips and mouth were so dry and extremely painful for her. It had become impossible for her to sit up.  It was one of the most heartbreaking and traumatic events of my life, it still haunts me to this day.

One day she said she wanted some water, so I got her a glass and placed the straw in her mouth. I remember her eyes closing from pure enjoyment feeling the cool wet water in her mouth, she drank greedily. When she finally looked up and smiled, I went to remove the straw and drink from her. I couldn’t remove the straw it was stuck to her lip. Finally, I was able to remove it, but a huge chunk of her lip came with it and started bleeding. I was terrified and shocked because she made absolutely no sound when it happened. The nurse came in and assisted her, as I just stood there watching. I was overcome with so much guilt at being the one who caused this.

She would end up dying the next morning…. At the age of sixteen years and seventeen days. I still grieve and mourn her; I will for the rest of my life.

After that day I could not use a straw and every time I seen someone using one my mind would flash back to her face covered in blood and me holding that straw….

Life can be so cruel that is for sure because I had great difficulty when I realized that straws were going to have to be a part of my life.

But as I worked to get past that memory, I forced myself to remember the memories of her that I cherished when I used or looked at a straw.

Today I am grateful that when I grab a straw to use, I think of her laugh, and how her eyes crinkled when she laughed, I think of secret plans between best friends, and I realize how blessed I was to have been a part of her life. I can not wait to see her again.

So today I will celebrate National Straw Day after all they bring cherished memories to my mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment